Paula’s Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Name of Chef: Paula Chase
Family Members: Husband, Jeff; daughter, Kelly; son, Ryan.
Community of Residence: Rancho Peñasquitos since 2007
Hobbies/Interests: Fine art photography, creating new recipes, visiting museums, reading mystery novels
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking the trails on Black Mountain; taking my best pal Roxy to dog beach; family picnics at Mission Bay
About the Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies are one of the most popular items I sell at the Farmers Market. I took my all-time favorite peanut butter cookie recipe and substituted gluten-free flours for regular all-purpose flour. The result was amazing! The cookies were soft and chewy, and full of peanut flavor. No one can believe they’re gluten-free. Peanut Butter Cookies are a definite favorite in our house. After you try this recipe, they’ll be a favorite in yours too!
About the Chef: I was always creative in the kitchen coming up with delicious homemade treats for my husband and two children. After my son, Ryan, was diagnosed with Autism, I began to learn the benefits of a gluten-free diet. When I was laid-off from a management positiona few years ago, I realized that a passion for baking and a gluten-free lifestyle was the recipe for my new career. I created my own opportunity and started Paula’s Gluten-Free. In August 2011, I began selling gluten-free baked goods at local farmer’s markets. Along with the farmer’s markets, I also make custom cakes and desserts for special events such as birthdays, anniversaries, baby showers and weddings. Visit www.paulasglutenfree.com or call 858-342-2152 for more information.[box title=”Ingredients” color=”#333333″]
9 oz. Sweet Rice Flour
3 oz. tapioca starch
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. kosher salt
10 oz. peanut butter (recommended: Trader Joe’s Creamy Unsalted Peanut Butter)
4 oz. vegetable shortening (recommended: Crisco)
5 1/2 oz. light brown sugar
5 1/2 oz. granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Additional granulated sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together peanut butter and vegetable shortening. Add the sugars, eggs, vanilla and water, mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter/sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, shape dough into 1 ½ oz. balls.
- Roll in additional sugar and place 2 inches apart on parchment
- lined baking sheets. Use a fork to create crisscross pattern on each cookie.
- Bake 5-6 minutes, rotate pans and bake an additional 5 – 6 minutes.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack.