Postal Inspectors are advising American consumers to beware of scams involving foreign lotteries. During just the past three years, victims lost more than $42 million to these scams.
If you or a loved one receives an unsolicited offer, Postal Inspectors recommend:
- Hang up the phone or delete the e-mail
- Don’t give out personal or financial information to anyone over the Internet or phone
- Never wire or send money to anyone, anywhere who says you have won a foreign lottery
- Don’t let anyone pressure you into making an immediate decision
- Never purchase anything until you get all information in writing
If you are a caregiver to older family members, take an active interest in their finances. Older Americans are a primary target of lottery scammers.
Foreign lotteries aren’t just a risky proposition for American consumers; under most circumstances they are also illegal.
You can prevent becoming a victim. Learn to recognize the warning signs. For more information, visit DeliveringTrust.com.