Katharine’s Spiced Lentils and Sausage
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup lentils (brown or green)
- 3 ½ cups water or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and celery in the olive oil for two to three minutes on medium heat.
- Add the sausage to the pan and continue to cook for five minutes, rotating sausage as needed.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding the chicken stock or water, along with the rice and lentils. Bring everything to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Add spices and stir.
- Keep covered and let it cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. It is done when the rice is soft.
Time: 25 minutes | Makes: 5 servings
Chef: Katharine Coggeshall
Family: Jim, Emma, Michael, Adeline
Community: Rancho Peñasquitos
Interests: Science, fitness
Favorite Local Activity: Going to the YMCA pool
About the Recipe: As a mother to three young children, I am always looking for ways to incorporate healthy ingredients that my kids will actually eat into our meals. This recipe was invented after I learned about all the amazing health benefits that turmeric has to offer. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial effects. I wanted the health benefits of the turmeric in a tasty form that my kids would appreciate, so I started with a basic Indian dahl recipe and stripped away the ingredients I knew would invoke an automatic outthrust of the tongue and subsequent “Ew.” Once the basic flavors were chosen, I added in the sausage for good measure; my kids are 10 times more likely to eat a meal if sausage is involved (disclaimer: that number has not been scientifically proven). And there you have it, spiced lentils and sausage was invented!
About the Chef: I am a scientist, NASM certified personal trainer, and health and wellness blogger. My blog at www.fitnesstranslator.com focuses on healthy families and offers helpful advice on everything from nutrition to healthy weight loss. When I’m not blogging or cooking, I am enjoying time with my husband Jim and our three kids Emma (7), Michael (5), and Adeline (3).
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92129magazine.com