Brenda’s Lentil Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 20 ounces water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of dry oregano
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of garlic powder
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups dry red lentils
- 25 ounce can of Mexican-style hominy
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into 4 pieces
- Lemon for garnish, if desired
- Bring water and broth to a boil. Add salt, oregano, onion, garlic, and celery.
- Add dry red lentils. Cover pot with lid and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes
- Once lentils are cooked, add the hominy.
- Serve immediately and top with lemon and cilantro, if desired.
Makes: 6 servings
Cook Time: 35 minutes
About the Chef
Chef: Brenda Sillas, MBA, CHES, CHC
Family: Husband – Ernesto; Son – Diego (2), and baby on the way
Community: Rancho Peñasquitos
Hobbies/Interests: Health and wellness, reading, cooking, minimalism, creating photo books
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking!
About the Recipe: I love this recipe because it takes me back to my roots without having to sacrifice flavor or health. It’s naturally vegan, gluten free, and full of fiber and protein so it’s something that I can make for anyone regardless of their dietary restrictions (for the most part). It’s not uncommon for people to be lacking fiber in their diets, and lentils are such a wonderful source of fiber.
About the Chef: I’m a certified health coach and the founder and owner of www.bbalancedhealth.com. I’ve got a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA), a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Science with an emphasis in health education, and a health coaching certificate. I am also a certified health education specialist and I have over 15 years of experience in the health and wellness industry. When I’m not helping people lose weight or consulting with corporations on how to create a healthy workplace, I can be found reading, cooking, or most often playing with my adorable toddler.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92129magazine.com