Sophie’s Loaded Vegan Sweet Potato Nachos
- 4-5 medium large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and cubed white potato
- ½ cup peeled and cubed carrot
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or other neutral oil
- ¼ cup nut milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 pickled banana pepper slices
- 3 tablespoons pickling liquid from peppers
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Avocado, diced
- Cilantro, for serving
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Using a mandoline, on the thinnest setting, slice all the sweet potatoes into even rounds. This may be done using a knife, slicing as thinly and evenly as possible.
- Toss with olive oil (enough to coat lightly) and salt.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread potato slices in one layer, avoiding too much overlap.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. This may need to be done in batches, depending on how much you are making.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, start the cheesy sauce. Boil the cubed potatoes and carrots for about 10 minutes; do not overcook.
- Drain and add to high-speed blender along with all other sauce ingredients.
- Blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble cooled sweet potato chips on a plate, drizzle (or drench) with cheesy sauce, and pile on desired toppings. Enjoy!
Chef: Sophie Edwards
Family: Parents – Shana and Larry Edwards; sister – Sam Edwards
Community: Rancho Peñasquitos
Hobbies & Interests: Cooking, education, health, writing, yoga
Favorite Local Activity: Picnics at Del Mar Beach
About the Recipe: This is a healthy alternative to regular nachos – and much better tasting! My family loves it as a summer lunch.
About the Chef: I’m a fourth year college student at Sonoma State University pursuing a degree in elementary education. I love all things food and I’m an aspiring food blogger.
GET PUBLISHED! SUBMIT A RECIPE AT WWW.92129MAGAZINE.COM